The Studio Shop was founded by Ralph and Dorothy Crawford in 1915. Dorothy was an accomplished portrait photographer operating a photo studio on the second floor of 1200 Burlingame Ave.(today the Luggage Center). Her husband Ralph had been the Burlingame city engineer but then bought an existing picture frame business in 1914. They combined their businesses to form Crawford’s Studio Shop. They also left another Burlingame landmark, the Tudor style commercial building at 311 Primrose. Ralph designed the building but unfortunately died before its completion in 1931. Dorothy kept the business going in that building until she turned over the reins to her niece, Carolyn Misselwitz, in 1944. Dorothy passed away in 1952.